Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Pre - writ reflections 1

Good evening,

Welcome to the inaugural blog posting for my campaign in Vancouver Point Grey.

I was reflecting on what sort of opponent I am up against in Gordon Campbell who is the incumbent in Vancouver Point Grey. Well one thing is for sure, he has a ton of money to spend.

Heck, the Liberals outspent the Greens by over $140,000 in the 2001 election in this riding alone.

How could I possibly win considering that amount of campaign spending by Gordon Campbell?

Then I got to thinking - how much did it cost Gordon Campbell for each of his votes? Well folks, it works out that each vote cast for Gordon Campbell cost his campaign over $10.

Then the light went off ... how much did each Green vote cost in 2001?

Well, the Greens in this riding spent $0.28 cents per vote ... that's right only 28 cents per vote ...
And that won the Green candidate over 21% of the vote!

It made me realize that the Green Party message resonates deeply with voters here.

It also gave me optimism that no matter how much Gordon Campbell spends on his re-election the Green Party still has a good chance of defeating him in this riding.

I'm really excited to get out and meet more folks in my neighbourhood and talk about what's important to them.

Please feel free to post your thoughts and concerns about issues important to you. Let's kick off this campaign and get the discussion going.

Cheers,
Damian

3 comments:

Barb Neuman said...

Damian, Great site! I like the way you've done the $/vote analysis.

Green Politics in BC said...

Hi there,
Sorry about the delayed response.

Yes, Mel Leeman is the NDP candidate for Vancouver Point Grey.
Mel is a nice man.
Unfortunately for them, the NDP came 3rd in Vancouver Point Grey in 2001.

If Vancouver Point Grey residents want to dispose of their Liberal MLA they should vote for the Green Party as we came 2nd in this riding last time.

The Green Party of BC can implement sustainability within your generation.

We want to challenge Gordon Campbell to a debate. Oh how fun would that be! Campbell would be easy picking on environmental and social issues. I'd have to sharpen my economic boxing gloves but I'm confident that it'd be a fair match.

Adriane Carr on the other hand. She would destroy Campbell and James in a debate. You heard it here first.

Green Politics in BC said...

Lean on Me Small Business Support

Yes, the Liberals have more money than Jimmy Pattison has businesses.

It's about grassroots democracy though folks. Campbell has spent $100,000 on push polls thus far.
We're knocking on doors left right and centre. The NDP is working hard in Vancouver Point Grey but everybody knows they are a 3rd place party in this riding.

Glad you like the $/vote analysis.

We have a good chance yet my friends.

Drop me a line. Let's make history together! DK